Blogger Pip Else – Paediatric OT
26th April 2017
We recently posted a link on our Facebook page explaining about the new sensory room in Shannon Airport.
This is the first European Airport sensory room and should hopefully encourage other airports to create their own sensory environment. https://www.facebook.com/Shannon.Airport.Official/videos/1303271216429032/
Support Systems in British airports
It is fast approaching the holiday season and now is the time to get prepared.
Last July we posted some links for other supportive systems which are used in British airports, here are the links again with some additions:
- Gatwick airport Lanyard system for those with hidden disabilities see the link: http://mediacentre.gatwickairport.com/press-releases/2016/16-05-19-new-lanyard-launched-to-assist-passengers-with-hidden-disabilities.aspx
- Autism Awareness at Manchester Airport, see the link: http://www.manchester-airport-guide.co.uk/disabled-facilities.html
- Heathrow Airport are now developing their own special assistance service for families and people with disabilities, see link: http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/special-assistance/transforming-special-assistance
- Special assistance at Luton Airport, see link: http://www.london-luton.co.uk/special-assistance-landing
- Birmingham Airport have a Autism Awareness Service and a preparation video and leaflets for children and Parents, see link: https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/terminal-facilities/special-assistance/
- Stansted Airport’s special assistance service, see link: http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/guides-to-travelling/special-assistance/
Sensory Rooms in the Community
- Manchester: Community Youth centre with a sensory room,
- Perth: The Wheel Inn, a large Bar/Restaurant with a Sensory room and other activities for the whole family to enjoy: http://newwheelinn.ltpubs.co.uk/index.php?id=subpage02
- Sheffield: Whirlow Hall Farm Trust has won funding to create a sensory calming room: https://www.avivacommunityfund.co.uk/voting/project/view/16-2143
- Salford: Multisensory room for Hire: http://www.salfordcommunityleisure.co.uk/lifestyles/multi-sensory-room
Hopefully we have given you some ideas for how to help over the holiday period. There are a lot of crowd funding pages out there which are raising money to build sensory rooms. If you cannot find one in your local area, why not look to see if others are already raising money to support this project.
Please follow our Facebook page where we post daily links https://www.facebook.com/childrenstherapysolutions